My CV is available on request.
However, my medical training and experience are summarised below:
- Completed specialist training in Sexual & Reproductive Health as an Associate Specialist – my main interest has always been in woman’s health.
- Fully qualified doctor – having qualified initially and worked as a GP.
- An accredited Faculty Trainer (FSRH) and an Examiner for the Membership Examinations (on the Critical Reading Team).
- Held the role of Training Programme Director for Wiltshire in Contraception and Reproductive Health.
My clinical experience includes:
- All types of contraception – hormonal and non-hormonal, and Long Acting Reversible Contraception (LARC) – intrauterine devices, implants, and injectables. Male and female sterilisation.
- Contraception for women in special groups e.g. aged over 40, postpartum and breastfeeding, Young People’s Sexual Health.
- Letter of Competence in Intrauterine Techniques (Loc IUT) – this is the certificate required to fit and remove intrauterine devices.
- Letter of Competence in Sub-dermal Implants (Loc SDI) – this is what is required to fit and remove contraceptive implants.
- Gynefix and Gynefix trainer’s certificate
- As a Faculty (FSRH) trainer I was regularly training doctors and nurses to fit and remove intrauterine devices and implants, and published on this topic.
- Unplanned pregnancy – medical and surgical termination of pregnancy.
- Infertility – from referral and initial investigation to IVF
- Menopause – I developed a special interest in menopause and went on to run my own menopause clinic. I obtained the Menopause and Advanced Menopause Certificates (2011).
- Genitourinary Medicine – The diagnosis and management of all STI and non-STI related conditions e.g. chlamydia, gonorrhoea, herpes, genital warts, syphilis, HIV, hepatitis B and C, plus non-STI conditions e.g. candidiasis (thrush), bacterial vaginosis (BV) and other.
- Diploma of Genitourinary Medicine (Dip GUM).
- Young People’s Clinics
- Domiciliary Family Planning
- Complex contraceptive problem clinic
- Cervical screening (smears) – I obtained the Diploma of Colposcopy
- Psychosexual Medicine
- Membership of the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health (MFSRH) in June 2000.
- Fellowship of the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health (FFSRH) in 2009.
Many women have told me these consultations were life-changing for them. This is one aspect of my career which will always have given me the highest degree of satisfaction.
Writing is my passion
I’m drawn to my computer like a magnet. Ideas pop into my head continuously for blog posts, news items, features, and web content.
Writers find themselves, however, between a rock and a hard place.
How many – is too many – words? And why are we always given such an impossibly small word count?
Storytelling means just that – how to write sentences and paragraphs without going over your limit and still conveying the correct tone and style to create a compelling read.
Well, that’s the skill of the writer, crafting their work, day in and day out.